Monday, April 28, 2014

I woke up with a start, being startled by some horrendous noise. Normally I creep slowly out of sleep, but the sound rushed me out of the quiet chambers of sleep, and I sat up, trying to identify the source of the sound. Outside. A howling and banging and whipping and whirling. The wind sounded like it was trying to pick up my toddler's Little Tike castle and take it to the neighbor's house. It picked it up and dragged/dropped it repeatedly.

G had just received a new toy wheelbarrow earlier so of course that's what I thought of first. As I went downstairs to make sure the wind didn't make a prize of the wheelbarrow, my husband opened the window in our room. In the brief period that our window was open, the dust filled his hair, the window sill, and the dresser.

We should have known better. Earlier in the day, Nathan had been working outside, constructing his "chickie mansion." I had walked outside, in search of the cell phone I had left in the car. I had attempted to swing the garage door on my way out by the wind was too strong; I hadn't stopped to close it completely since I was going out for just a minutes.

60 seconds when I walked back in, my whole house was coated, thickly, in dust. Thickly. Everywhere. It took days to clean it all up. All from not closing the door, fully. The wind took the opportunity to enter and spread that sawdust everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment